Thursday, July 7, 2011

Eternal Family

Gee, I can tell I am really getting old!  I am constantly having to fix my typing nowadays.  I am typing the second letter before the first letter, or third letter before the second etc.  Cannot be happening to me!  haha

Well, back to the title.  Those of you who know me know this but, I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, commonly known as Mormons.  I was 16 when I first heard about the church and started taking lessons.

One of the things that the missionaries were excited to tell me about was this.  Eternal Family.
They looked very happy and delighted that they could share this with me.  My reaction?  "So what?". 
I never really thought of that because to me, family was the group of people who lived together and had
obligation somewhat to take care of each other in time of need.  We did our own thing and when things
required permission from parents, I would talk to my parents about things.  They were pretty much just there
but out of my life in many aspects, as much as I was to them or- so it seemed.

But now I have my own family, I yearn to stay with them for a long, long time even to eternity.
I want to do my best so that we can stay together, even though I struggle with my weaknesses constantly. 

Then, a thought came to me.  Does everyone in the family feel the same way?  Am I doing enough things so that everyone, each one of us in the family desire for the eternal family?  Then I freaked out because I was not sure. 

So, that's my goal now.  I want to create the home setting where everyone who lives and enters the house will feel comfortable to the extent they feel "eternity" somehow.  I want each one of us to feel and desire this feeling among the family to last forever.  I want us to feel peace at home.  And by doing this, I hope I will have the desire to have eternal family with my family I was born in someday.

What do you do so everyone in your family have desire to have eternal family with current family?      

2 comments:

  1. Good thought! and thanks -- now I am "freakin out" too. lol!

    I think the basics are the key. Family prayer, scripture study, FHE, and dinners together. I am not always good with these things all of the time, but I try. I also like traditions. I don't do too many, but a few simple things. My kids also love playing games. So sometimes I have to remind myself to set my school work aside for an hour or two and get out the board games, even though I am exhausted after a full week of work. Lately, I have been trying to do things we haven't done before. The rodeo was one of those things. I feel the need to "Create" memories. I guess I feel that something out of the ordinary once in a while does that. I also think that lots of family photos help. When I look at past pictures I become nostalgic. I hope my kids will feel that way too. That's why I take a lot of picutres of them *together* as much as they think they hate it now. :)

    I think you are doing a fabulous job. Sometimes I am jealous that you get to stay home with your kids. You do such a good job with the teaching moments and you seem so patient. I wish I was a little more like you when it comes to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, thank you for your comment. I couldn't leave a comment here before because even though I sign in, it doesn't recognize me when I come back to this page and requires me to sign in over and over...

    Interesting - when I was looking at your rodeo pics, I was very impressed that you really take time for your kids even when you have a busy life like that. Taking "Together" pics is such a good idea. It's funny how kids seem to remember all the fun things out of what it seemed so chaotic for the parents sometimes. More smiling pics they see, they will remember it more as good and fun memories rather than forced and miserable activity! haha

    Thank you for saying nice thing about me. My oldest recently made a comment about me very opposite to that. Gee, I went from "fun mom" to "always mad" mom according to him! He doesn't realize that most likely he is the one who changed more than anyone. Having a teen feels like fumbling around in my pocket, trying to find something. Tough!

    ReplyDelete