Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Healthy and better?? cooking...

So.  After tasting my friend's spinach smoothie and another spinach smoothie at the meeting on Healthy food (both were yummy, not the one w/tabasco!!), I was finally motivated enough to make my own. 
Here's what it is.


I liked it.  Maybe because I had a cold and couldn't taste anything.  haha  Anyway.  I put a handful of spinach(tip on how to freeze spinach, go here), one apple, and one banana.  Kids all had some and said it tasted like banana juice.  Great.  Maybe I will add some blueberries or something to make it more brown looking.  Is it more appetizing green or brown??  I don't know. 

I was talking to my mom on the phone and this is what she taught me.
They have this 8 categories they try to have dish from.  Kind of like acronym is used and here's the list.

Beans, Sesame seed, Dairy, Sea weed, Vegetable, Fish(meat), Mushroom, Potato group

She was trying to make every meal out of those 8 categories- at least she was trying hard to take one from each a day.  Forget it.  Here's my thought.

*Beans-I barely eat beans.  I guess Tofu will do some days. 
*Sesame seed??-  Sprinkle on rice.  I should eat more sesame seed dressing. 
*Dairy- we eat too much of (we like cheese),
*Sea weed- hmmmm...  time for sea weed salad!  (anyone wants to try it??  I really like it and is good with sesame seed dressings). 
*Veggie- we need to eat more of so the kids don't have a problem, 
*Fish(meat)- we are trying to eat less of,
*Mushroom- I like the small dried shiitake mushrooms my mom sent me.  They get reconstituted really fast so it's convinient when I make noodles. But mushrooms everyday??  My kids hate them... is it worth hearing them whine??
*Potato kind- well... french fries for snack everyday! (just kidding)  

Needless to say, I am trying to eat better and this is the list I am going to follow as close as I can(or believe)!  

Happy eating everyone!  

2 comments:

  1. I like this list! I think I just may apply it into my life too, and I would think the same thing about potatoes, haha!

    I think drinks would be more appealing green than brown. Stick the the green and I'm going to try this spinach smoothie. I have a cold right now too so maybe it will taste good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how is it going Darah? After a few days, I kind of forgot about the list so I am trying to be better... I just need to put the list where I can see it, you know!

    How did your smoothie turn out? Waiting for your report very patiently. Hehe I hope your cold is better!

    ReplyDelete