A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
This is what I do for New Year. I don't really miss my family in Christmas but I do around new year.
In Japan, we do a lot to get prepared for new year. We deep clean the house, go shopping and cook for a long time so we don't have to cook or clean for about 3 days when new year rolls in. We have a special meal called Osechi and supposedly, each dish has some meaning to it.
Here we have egg, cucumber, shrimp, Edamame, deep fried chicken, salmon wrapped in seaweed, and fish cake
Ozouni... soup with mochi (pounded sweet rice)Carrot(notice the flower shape??), shiitake mushroom, Nappa cabbage, and daikon raddish
This is what we had + a bowl of rice. This year it was earlier (because I woke up early) and ate around 9am. I didn't really cook after that-Enough cooking for one day already! I added the jigglers (jello) this year and it was a success. The kids LOVED helping me cut the shapes out!
Year of rabbit... I hope we will always "hop" right back no matter what ;)
That all looks delicious!!! Way to update your blog - I was wondering when you were going to:) New Year's is a bigger deal in New Zealand too.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I think I will blog a little more than before, it's a good way to keep journal, right? ;)
ReplyDeleteI didn't know New Zealand has a bigger New Year as well. Tell me what you do. Just party?? Hehe